Irv Gikofsky known professionally as Mr. G, was born on May 10, 1945. He is a beloved American TV meteorologist and Journalist, delivering reliable forecasts to New Yorkers for almost 40 years. His astrological sign is Taurus.
He later entered the meteorology program at Penn State University and worked on WPIX. His unique style, humor, and ability to simplify complex forecasting made him a hit with viewers.
New Yorkers have relied on Mr. G’s forecasts for authoritative information on the city’s unpredictable weather, shaping millions of residents’ daily lives and plans.
Quick Facts About Irv
|Full Name:||Irv Gikofsky|
|Spouse Name:||Deborah Lynn Quan|
|Nick Name:||Mr. G|
|Date of Birth:||May 10, 1945|
|Birth Place:||The Bronx, New York|
|Age:||78 years old|
|Net Worth:||$4 Million|
|Occupation:||TV meteorologist | Journalist|
|Social Media:||Twitter & Instagram|
Table of Contents
Born in the heart of New York City, Irv Gikofsky, professionally recognized as Mr. G, carved a niche for himself as a trusted weather forecaster. His profound understanding of climatology and his magnetic on-screen persona have kept New Yorkers tuned in to his forecasts for decades.
Growing up in the dynamic geographic location of New York, Mr. G developed a passion for weather patterns early on. Fascinated by weather satellites and their ability to predict conditions, his curiosity set the foundation for his illustrious career.
He married his wife, Deborah Lynn Quan, in 1975, and together they have two adult children – a son named Barry and a daughter named Amy. When not on the air, Mr. G enjoys spending time with his family, especially his four grandchildren, who affectionately call him “Grandpa G.”
Though he keeps his home life out of the spotlight, Mr. G has commented that his family helps keep him grounded amidst his television fame. Their support has allowed him to maintain such a long and illustrious career as New York’s favorite weatherman.
Mr. G’s passion for science and weather began early. He attended the prestigious Bronx High School of Science, where he focused on math, science, and technology courses. After graduating high school in 1963, Mr. G went to City College of New York. He earned a bachelor’s degree in physics from CCNY in 1967.
This background in physics provided him with a strong scientific foundation for meteorology. In 1977, Mr. G furthered his weather education when he completed the highly selective meteorology program at Penn State University. This intensive 1-year program equipped him with advanced forecasting, climatology, and broadcast meteorology training.
Between his physics degree and specialized meteorology credentials, Mr. G gained the ideal educational background to become one of New York’s most skilled and trusted forecasters.
Read More: Megan Wise Date of Birth
Interesting Facts About Mr. G
- His signature mustache has remained unchanged since he first appeared on WPIX in 1980.
- He has a collection of over 50 colourful bow ties he wears on air. Fans often mail him new bow tie designs.
- An amateur magician, he sometimes performs magic tricks on air to demonstrate weather concepts.
- He has a cameo role as a weatherman in the Adam Sandler film Grown Ups.
- An avid tennis player, he competes in local senior tournaments in his spare time.
- In 1996, Mr. G set a world record for the fastest mile run by a weather forecaster (7 minutes, 48 seconds).
Career & Achievements
In his early years at WPIX, Mr. G provided weekend weather forecasts alongside veteran meteorologist Dr. Frank Field. When Dr. Field retired in 1984, Mr. G became the station’s chief meteorologist.
For over 25 years, his 11 am and 5 pm forecasts have been a staple of WPIX’s news coverage. Generations of New Yorkers have grown up watching Mr. G’s forecasts.
Some of Mr G’s most memorable television moments came during major weather events like Superstorm Sandy, Hurricane Irene, the Polar Vortex cold wave, and the Blizzard of 1996. His calm explanations and warnings helped prepare residents and save lives.
Mr. G has won 5 New York Emmy awards for his broadcasting. He has also received the American Meteorological Society’s Seal of Approval, honoring on-air meteorologists for informing and educating viewers.
In 2007, Mr. G was inducted into the City College Communications Alumni Hall of Fame. CCNY has also named him Alumnus of the Year.
Reason for Popularity
There are several key reasons why Mr G has maintained his popularity over an impressively long career:
- Personality: Mr. G has an upbeat, cheerful, and quirky personality on air. His sense of humour and ability to improvise make his forecasts entertaining.
- Reliability: Mr. G has earned a reputation for making accurate predictions thanks to his scientific training and decades of experience forecasting NYC weather.
- Simplicity: He excels at taking complex meteorological concepts and presenting them in simple, easy-to-grasp ways for a broad audience.
- Authority: New Yorkers see him as an authoritative voice they can trust for weather updates. He provides a sense of reassurance during major events.
- Consistency: He has been a steady presence doing NYC weather for 40 years. His consistency builds familiarity and trust.
Read More: When Was Marty Bass Born?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
For nearly 40 years, Mr. G has been a beloved fixture of New York City’s weather forecasts. With his signature style, humour, scientific expertise, and reassurance during storms, he has become one of the most trusted meteorologists in New York history. Mr. G continues to inform and entertain each day on WPIX, proving that experienced scientists who communicate with the public in engaging ways can become local icons.